Skip to main content

The pile on the table

A girl full of headache comes home

To a room made of cream walls

She puts her earphones on the table

On the wall behind the table is

a rainbow-coloured cycle sticker

The girl puts her blue pens in the racks of the table

She puts down her imbalance with a sigh on the table

Rolls up her anger from speaking to her mother unkindly

She puts it in a pouch inside the drawer

And caps all the red pens writing mystery

The table records a jangle of keys

There is her softness, her large handwriting

Her laptop in red, a worry, three

more worries, a2 + b2 = (a+b)2 -2ab,

a maths teacher’s memory, a hairclip,

some sound of life and her friends in her mind.

She puts everything on the table

And it still looks like a pebble.

She now takes off her spectacles

And puts its dust on the table

She puts her cough on the table

Puts paracetamol on the table

She reaches out and touches the pile

So many days she had wanted to rest on a cloud

And now the thunder of that sky is also on the table

She positions there her sight of letters

She places there her waking hours,

Her typing, her running shoes, her continuous tenses.

All this while the table is doing well

It is greeting several such paragraphs

On top of one another

Firm, fixed, nothing moves

Only the cycle on the wall hides.

Popular Posts

Almost all my returns are well timed with how the sky back at home should look

A clear-dandruff like collection of cloud should mean, I am coming to the ruffle of leaves. A cue to the coral should mean it is 7 and I am to miss tea. A well stationed azure should mean the bus will have left by the time I reach. A wind is still learning to settle what it is going to leave behind. On the roads when people spill along with brown leaves, there is a reflection Of a chai spilled, a biscuit broken — A tip to summer and an earthworm. When I arrive early, I take a longer route. When I arrive late, I am already seeing the sky at home (but at some other place). Glad that the one thing that won’t move with me will be this scene. I am occupied in looking around because I do not need to carry the sky, or pack it, or remember it forever. Also, I can’t really do any of those things. Even knowing that my travels speak to me More about home, should have made me feel adjusted. Most days, I feel Well Traveled.

Didi tum maar khaogi?

When she says: Didi tum maar khaogi? My little neighbour states the very obvious. Her elder sister has just pushed her off the back seat of their red bicycle. There is another who is busy drawing herself in circles behind the cycle. She goes round and round and round… The youngest one of them hasn’t turned up today. She is busy creating an earth on the wall below this floor. When the neighbour repeats: Didi tum maar khaogi? The one behind the cycle, Circling, answers: “Haan. Abhi plate laati hun!”