Skip to main content

A cake spoilt well



On Wednesday, my brother and I craved for chocolate. Chocolate cake to be specific. It was 12:15 a.m.
In the history of unanimous verdicts, ours will also go unnoticed as the drawing room, habitual of listening to guard’s thak thak thak, suddenly became alert to our particular promise: We will make cake tomorrow.

Utterance of WE is important here.  

Next day, the sun rose from east. Birds twittered. Anxiety of water running out, made the two adults of our house take an early bath. Between work from home and online classes, I became busy. Exactly at noon, my brother reminded about our midnight pledge. By then, I had no craving of chocolate.
But having seen so many people posting cooking recipes I screenshotted one from Instagram and whatsapped it to my brother. And even though he read it very carefully, I star-marked it.

Our trust in each other goes back only a few minutes.

Mother agreed to the commotion that followed.

This wasn’t our first time in kitchen. When we were 12, we had cooked Pasta on Mother’s day and this has always made us feel good about ourselves in a subtle way, which is beyond the sarcasm we offer ourselves.  Afterall, anything could have gone wrong that day. Especially if the cooks are 12-year-old kids who are alone in house.

The ingredients for the cake were arranged on black marble slab of our kitchen. It smelt of milk and ginger. Didn’t I tell you we got this!

But I should also tell you that air smelled sour because a day before bhagona that skipped introductions with the fridge. Didn’t I tell you it is impossible to always get it.

As a break from Tenses, I walked into a situation of articles and determined how is one table spoon different from one tea spoon. The ingredients were prepositioned according to their heights, in a decreasing order, all kept in the front row. Four big cups sat in the second row. Milk ka bhagona in the corner. The kitchen was electric from then on.

The procedure was a bit different from our usual cake practice. We used to have our own recipe. It was one of those taken for granted writings written on a tattered page of a phone diary and as you know losing such countable nouns is a law of nature.

Anyway, bowls were taken: aata, peeci hui cheeni, baking soda, cocoa powder, oil/butter/malai, milk, cocoa powder, all that could be added, was added.

The Brown Batter was getting properly n(o)uanced; neither too thick nor too thin. After using all the muscle powers present in the house, the mixture was put in microwave for seven minutes and I waited with a knife for the final step. Oil was visible at the top but I thought that was just my eyes playing trick and so the cake settled inside the microwave for another 5 minutes. The cake looked shiny. It was reflecting light of TV.


Having taken out the container from the microwave, I sieved the oil from it. In order to salvage the cake, I called up the person who bakes the best cakes in the family. She consoled me and told me to try again the next day, bolstering the fact that things need to be reordered then. I began typing 'how to reuse a spoilt cake'. When I was on the third YouTube video: How to make cupcakes in 3 minutes, I heard a sound.
The sound of ‘this is not going to end today’.

What had happened was that after my brother discovered what had happened to the cake, he quickly reported things to the headquarter of ‘please help us, we need your help – Mother’.

My mother recounted all the likelihoods when she had said that the cake was ‘done’. Funny, how I don’t remember anything. More funny, because all the other three members of the house remember her saying so. Watching Ramayana, in a quarantine house is full of intensities: fight so fiercely for a food item as complicated as cake. Tempers were raised. Arrows were drawn. Ramayana won as DD went on since my parents kept sitting glued to the television and breaking into an argument only in the break. I found the Amul advertisement quite nostalgic.

Coming back to the sound of ‘this is not going to end today’. My father had poured hot water in order to take the cake out from the container. Didn’t work. A friend on DM suggested, to put some milk and microwave it again. I did. Many times.

Nothing.


Then, I warmed one-fourth cup of water. Added sugar. Heated it for five minutes. All this while, I was wondering why I was the only one working to salvage the cake that I perhaps had lost the taste for at 12 noon. But that is the thing with thoughts, I continued thinking without once stopping. The sugar syrup was ready and cake absorbed that too. There were very tiny holes now in the cake, looking like an ants’ colony stuck in the pan.

Next day we had bread and tea for breakfast soaked in the same oil from the one that I sieved from the cake. An hour later, I was cutting onions and preparing gravy for Kadhai Paneer. By then, father had scratched the whole cake alone. The sugar syprup helped in taking the cake out into pieces, I guess.

But majaal hai jo ek bhi piece could be eaten! The cake could have been substituted for a slab in the kitchen. What better reuse!

Later in the afternoon, while I was adding Paneer in the yellow frothy gravy made with onions, tomatoes, cashews, malai, dahi, my mother was beating petrified cake in the ginger beater, picking the chura (big ladoos of chura) and filling the container, with the ‘dessert’ for the new few days to come.
In between, I managed to burn one roti and crash our precious 1994 mixie. That night, my brother and I wrote a stupid song about it. The neighbours wondered about our collective IQ.

It is Saturday 11 April, 10:20 p.m. and we have tried eating (swallowing) the crunchy chura every day like medicine- after breakfast, post lunch, after dinner. 








p.s.
Later episode in a photograph. Another blog on just this is boring. 

Popular Posts

Almost all my returns are well timed with how the sky back at home should look

A clear-dandruff like collection of cloud should mean, I am coming to the ruffle of leaves. A cue to the coral should mean it is 7 and I am to miss tea. A well stationed azure should mean the bus will have left by the time I reach. A wind is still learning to settle what it is going to leave behind. On the roads when people spill along with brown leaves, there is a reflection Of a chai spilled, a biscuit broken — A tip to summer and an earthworm. When I arrive early, I take a longer route. When I arrive late, I am already seeing the sky at home (but at some other place). Glad that the one thing that won’t move with me will be this scene. I am occupied in looking around because I do not need to carry the sky, or pack it, or remember it forever. Also, I can’t really do any of those things. Even knowing that my travels speak to me More about home, should have made me feel adjusted. Most days, I feel Well Traveled.

Didi tum maar khaogi?

When she says: Didi tum maar khaogi? My little neighbour states the very obvious. Her elder sister has just pushed her off the back seat of their red bicycle. There is another who is busy drawing herself in circles behind the cycle. She goes round and round and round… The youngest one of them hasn’t turned up today. She is busy creating an earth on the wall below this floor. When the neighbour repeats: Didi tum maar khaogi? The one behind the cycle, Circling, answers: “Haan. Abhi plate laati hun!”