Skip to main content

Earliest connection with reading spaces as inspired by Naniji


Sometimes the most important moment in life could be when you first receive a surprise visit from silence.


Once upon a time, Naniji said, “I used to take my books in the toilet and study there”. I remember my surprise. For an old silver Alto car, packed with 6 people, such secrets were secrets. I remember our silence. It was like for some moments we had all stopped moving. My Nani smiled, continued looking straight at the person holding the steering wheel (checking that we were going right, she was giving us the directions) and said “Otherwise, everyone had work for us. Ye karde, voh kar de (Do this, do that). No one ever got to know that I used to do it. Pitaji would have been so angry. Uss time ke log kaise in sab chhezo ko lete the, you don’t know (People in those days, how they would have taken it, you don’t know). But for me it was clear, books can be studied anywhere.” I remember looking up at her.

Naniji is known in the family for having a very good memory. One story goes, that if you tell her your mobile number once, she would remember it. If you tell her your birthday once, every other family member is convinced that she remembers it; though she might not wish you on all birthdays. She remembers names of books very well. She has not read literature books. When it comes to listing role model relatives, her name is on the list. But in so many years, my mother has never said “Look she studied in a toilet. You should too.” My mother would get so appalled if I do this today. “Books are things you pray to”, she would say. In all the legends that my family weaves around Naniji, no one talks about that day in the car. No one knows this but it was 'knowledge' for me that day.

Our bathroom door has a blue poster stuck, which has Dennis the menace, innocently sitting on a brown arm-chair, and a thought bubble reading 'Do not disturb. Great Mind At Work’. My mother bought it and it is such a good moment because we all have our own interpretations of what we read into it. 




                                                                   ...


I wrote this memory in October but it is only now on 18 January midnight that it hit me - while shifting we never took it from the door. It is still there. 



Popular Posts

Almost all my returns are well timed with how the sky back at home should look

A clear-dandruff like collection of cloud should mean, I am coming to the ruffle of leaves. A cue to the coral should mean it is 7 and I am to miss tea. A well stationed azure should mean the bus will have left by the time I reach. A wind is still learning to settle what it is going to leave behind. On the roads when people spill along with brown leaves, there is a reflection Of a chai spilled, a biscuit broken — A tip to summer and an earthworm. When I arrive early, I take a longer route. When I arrive late, I am already seeing the sky at home (but at some other place). Glad that the one thing that won’t move with me will be this scene. I am occupied in looking around because I do not need to carry the sky, or pack it, or remember it forever. Also, I can’t really do any of those things. Even knowing that my travels speak to me More about home, should have made me feel adjusted. Most days, I feel Well Traveled.

Didi tum maar khaogi?

When she says: Didi tum maar khaogi? My little neighbour states the very obvious. Her elder sister has just pushed her off the back seat of their red bicycle. There is another who is busy drawing herself in circles behind the cycle. She goes round and round and round… The youngest one of them hasn’t turned up today. She is busy creating an earth on the wall below this floor. When the neighbour repeats: Didi tum maar khaogi? The one behind the cycle, Circling, answers: “Haan. Abhi plate laati hun!”