Skip to main content

Dear September 1


Last year it was raining when I remembered about you. This year too it was raining when I thought about you. I think it is only a coincidence. 

Dear September 1 whatever year, hope these words find you in magic.  I am, am here. It has been brought to my notice that I miss you. Time is a great construct you have created. In fact, you would laugh at this, but calendar only did that thing – what is that you call – yea reminded- calendar reminded me today. I just wanted to write to you and assure that I did not even for a bit run away from that feeling and quickly addressed the hippogriff in the room. Well, I don’t think you can take care of the missing part because it is not you that caused it. Hope things are as good there as I have imagined them to be.  

Dear school, you go to September 1 today and its really something! While traveling to my favourite place yesterday, I overheard conversations of how students still miss school and miss more of the friendships they made there, rather than the school. Sadly, my friendships have ended too. I was about to forget today but here we both are in midnight, lighting up the words. I hope you really do good school. September 1 deserves to have you and you deserve to have September 1. 

For the longest of times, I have found myself be absent from your camaraderie but it was great to meet you in 2015 and I can only say that it has been something! I am struggling here. Things are not as they are with you both. I am trying here. We call it something here. There is a whole set of words they have come up for it. We call it dictionary here. school, you must have heard the gossip. Yeah it is something around those lines. Do share it with September 1. That will shake it off. Anyway, I can also tell you about it and that too very detailed-elaborate-word-by-word-gesture-by-gesture-gossip, but for that you would have to invite me for a chat at your place. The lake knows I can really enjoy some peace and laughter. 

But yea yea I know you don’t have the abilities to call me over now. I still had to put the offer on the table. Hope you return hale, hearty and sound from your adventures there. I hope I get to meet you again. I think a lot of us are looking forward to hear from you. A little Rita Skeeters of this world tells me that it might be in November. 

As much as I am looking forward to that day, I cannot help but wonder that you would eventually have to return. But there is so much I do not know, and so much uncertainty that I can’t help but wonder if anything will ever be enough or if I even know what I want or if I even know what I am wondering. Honestly, I do like you this way – meeting September 1 and not returning. Because that means there is so much to look forward to. Hogwash or not, you are too cool to be called even school. Remember to do good by us!

p.s. When you meet September 1, please ask for the books that I had asked it and the letters that have been absent since a long time.

Love
we go to school today - more than a railway station today - we meet friends today.

Popular Posts

Almost all my returns are well timed with how the sky back at home should look

A clear-dandruff like collection of cloud should mean, I am coming to the ruffle of leaves. A cue to the coral should mean it is 7 and I am to miss tea. A well stationed azure should mean the bus will have left by the time I reach. A wind is still learning to settle what it is going to leave behind. On the roads when people spill along with brown leaves, there is a reflection Of a chai spilled, a biscuit broken — A tip to summer and an earthworm. When I arrive early, I take a longer route. When I arrive late, I am already seeing the sky at home (but at some other place). Glad that the one thing that won’t move with me will be this scene. I am occupied in looking around because I do not need to carry the sky, or pack it, or remember it forever. Also, I can’t really do any of those things. Even knowing that my travels speak to me More about home, should have made me feel adjusted. Most days, I feel Well Traveled.

Didi tum maar khaogi?

When she says: Didi tum maar khaogi? My little neighbour states the very obvious. Her elder sister has just pushed her off the back seat of their red bicycle. There is another who is busy drawing herself in circles behind the cycle. She goes round and round and round… The youngest one of them hasn’t turned up today. She is busy creating an earth on the wall below this floor. When the neighbour repeats: Didi tum maar khaogi? The one behind the cycle, Circling, answers: “Haan. Abhi plate laati hun!”